Types of Positions
(Assistant Language Teacher)
ALTs are engaged in language instruction. ALTs are mainly assigned to local boards of education or elementary, junior high or senior high schools to carry out their duties as Assistant Language Teachers under the guidance of language teacher's consultant or Japanese Teachers of English as specified by the supervisor and/or principal of the board of education and/or school. The following is a general outline of duties, though they may vary from one contracting organisation to another.
ALT Duties may include:● Assisting English classes taught by Japanese Teachers of English (JTEs) in junior and senior high schools.
● Assisting with English language training activities, etc. at primary/elementary schools.
● Assisting in the preparation of materials for English language teaching.
● Assisting in the language training of JTEs.
● Assisting in organizing, coordinating and preparing activities for extracurricular activities and clubs (e.g English Club).
● Providing information on language and other related subjects to Teachers' Consultants and JTEs (e.g. word usage, pronunciations, etc.)
● Assisting in English Language speech contests.
● Engaging in local international exchange activities.
● Other duties as specified by the contracting organisation.
(Coordinator for International Relations)
CIRs are engaged in internationalisation activities. CIRs are placed in local government offices or related organisations. Participants are to carry out their duties as CIRs as specified by the supervisor at individual contracting organisations. CIRs must be fluent in the Japanese language (i.e. sufficient for daily work in a Japanese office environment - JLPT 2 or 1 level is recommended).
● Assisting in projects related to international activities carried out by the contracting organisation including editing translating and compiling brochures into English; assisting in planning, designing and implementing international exchange programmes including international economic programmes; assisting in hosting official guests from abroad and interpreting at events for overseas visitors or for local foreign residents in the community.
CIR Duties may include:
● Assisting in language instruction for employees of contracting organisations and local residents.
● Assisting and participating in activities by local private groups or organisations engaging in international exchange.
● Assisting in exchange activities (including school visits) related to local residents' cross-cultural awareness and understanding as well as in supporting activities for foreign nationals residing in Japan.
● Other duties as specified by the contracting organisation
You may apply for either of these positions, but not both.