How to Apply:
Online Application Portal The Online Application Portal is where you will manage and submit your application. You will also be able to check the status of your application and report issues or questions to the JET Desk.
All Canadian applications for the JET Programme must be submitted through the Online Application Portal. It is open to new applicants during the fall application period only.
Please ensure you are eligible before creating an applicant profile.
Application Deadline: November 18, 2016
Interviews: Early February
Application Results: April/May
Departure to Japan: July 29, 2017
The JET Application Package and Guidelines will be provided in the Online Application Portal of this website during the fall application period. We only accept applications submitted in this way. We do not accept resumes or other documents other than those outlined in the Application Guidelines. Please note that the information provided on this page is based on previous years' application guidelines, and is subject to change.
Online Application Form
You can view a copy of the 2017 application form here. It is for REFERENCE ONLY. We only accept applications started in the Application Portal of this website during the fall application period.
Proof of Canadian Citizenship
Such as a copy of your passport or birth certificate
Official University Transcripts
From all universities attended, which may include exchange universities
Degree or Proof of Expected Graduation
If you are in your final year of study, your university can issue a letter stating the date of your expected graduation
Two Letters of Reference
Do NOT request reference letters without providing your referees our Reference Letter Guidelines, available in the Application Portal of this website during the fall application period.
If you have a teaching certificate or Japanese Language certificate, you can include it in your application. This type of document is optional.
A two-page double-spaced essay outlining your motivation and qualifications to participate on the JET Programme.
Your application package will be completed and uploaded in the Online Application Portal of this website during the fall application period. Your additional documents can be uploaded to your application file. Once you have completed your online application, you must also mail or hand-deliver your application to the Embassy of Japan by the published deadline.
I have already decided to apply, but the application period hasn’t started yet. What can I do in the meantime?
The JET Application is a long process and involves obtaining many documents. We highly recommend preparing for your JET application as early as possible. Some documents should only be obtained after you have read the JET Application Guidelines, provided during the fall application period, but here are ways you can prepare before the fall application period begins:
● Understand the eligibility requirements and what the JET Programme looks for in great candidates.
● Take a personal inventory of your education, work and volunteer experience, as well as awards and extra-curricular activities you have been involved in.
● Connect with your local JETAA chapter if you have one near you. You don't have to be a JET alumnus/alumna to get involved in many JETAA events.
● Consider who you will ask to write your Letters of Reference. Do NOT request reference letters yet. We will provide Reference Letter Guidelines in the Online Application Portal of this website during the fall application period.
● Start preparing your two-page essay. We will provide guidelines for the essay in the Application Portal of this website during the fall application period, but you can prepare by thinking about your motivation for applying for the JET Programme, and how your qualifications make you an excellent JET participant.
● Request university transcripts from all universities you have attended